PDA

View Full Version : Cued vs, ASL

Bill
11-22-2006, 05:36 PM
Does anyone know how Cued Speech differs from ASL? or are they used together? :D

thanks

fia's mom
11-22-2006, 05:43 PM
There used to be a thread on here about cued speech. Even those who use cued speech say that it is not meant to take the place of ASL. The video was incredibly informative. Cued speech is totally different from ASL, but you can see how cued speech really is beneficial for those with CIs.

Oh Chris --- can you find the link?

Bill
11-23-2006, 11:22 AM
This is kind of a special request for help.

After doing some research, I found that there are 40 sounds of English language. Made up of Consonants and Vowels. Handshapes Cue the Consonants. There are 8 handshapes:

I cant hear the vowel sounds, or consonant sounds. So, I was wondering, if anyone could describe those sounds to me.

Than kyou :)

1)/zh/ /p/ /d/

2) /k/, /vi/, /th/, /z/

3)/h/, /s/, /r/

4) /wh/ , /b/, /n/

5) /t/, /m/, /f/

6) /l/, /sh// w/

7) /th/, /g/, /j/

8) /y/ , /ng/, /ch/

Vowels
Locations around the mouth

1) Side of the mouth: /ah/, /oe/, /u/

2) throat: /i/ /a/ /oo/

3) chin: /ue/, /au/, /oo/

4) mouth: /ee/, /er/

5) throat: /ou/, /ie/

6) chin to throat: /oi/, /ai/

Bill
11-23-2006, 02:41 PM
Thankyou for your help.

Bill
11-24-2006, 11:47 AM
http://www.cuedspeech.org/PDF/NewChart%208.5%20X%2011.pdf

I found a Cued Speech Chart on line.

ImJAZZed14
11-25-2006, 12:36 AM
Does anyone know how Cued Speech differs from ASL? or are they used together? :D

thanks

Cued speech is not at all ASL. It's, as you've said, different handshapes meant to assist in telling the difference between the sounds in language. It makes lipreading possible because with the cues you can tell the difference between a "b" and a "p" which, without the cues, look the same on the lips.

They can be used together in teaching but can't be phyically done at the same time. :)

Bill
11-26-2006, 12:34 PM
I think that I am getting the hang of Cued, even though I dont hear the sounds. I have worked hours on this, but I will not give up. :o

brenkachika
11-26-2006, 05:07 PM
"I cant hear the vowel sounds, or consonant sounds. So, I was wondering, if anyone could describe those sounds to me."
I have been thinking about this request of yours, and I really have no idea how to describe it. It's like trying to explain how salty tastes. I am sorry that I cannot be more help.
-Kerry