PDA

View Full Version : Online Translator??

Jane
04-27-2007, 11:04 AM
Are there any online translators for ASL? I am still trying to figure out the ASL word order and thought something like that would help. If not, any other suggestions for learning this?

Jane

mandible
04-27-2007, 02:57 PM
aslpro.com has some phrases and idioms that can help you get the "feel" of word order- a little bit.

:D
Mandi

TLit
04-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Are there any online translators for ASL? I am still trying to figure out the ASL word order and thought something like that would help. If not, any other suggestions for learning this?

Jane
I was surprised to find out ASL and the French language is about the same basic sentence structure. This helped me. Hope it helps you.

5TAL55
04-27-2007, 10:13 PM
I was surprised to find out ASL and the French language is about the same basic sentence structure. This helped me. Hope it helps you.

Actually American Sign Language is based off of French Sign Language so this is the reason the sentence structure is similar.

aligreat
04-28-2007, 04:29 PM
The best way to get the word order is to understand why the word order is that way. The best book that I have found on the subject is Lou Fant's The American Sign Language Phrase Book. He gives examples of phrases in ASL, and he tells you why they have that word order. I had taken ASL 1-4 in college, and I didn't really get it until I read this book.

Signing_Mom
05-01-2007, 02:39 PM
60% of ASL signs are taken from FSL (French).

ASL sentence structure is:

Time + Topic + Comment
The sentence: I have two sons would be:
2 sons me
The topic is important and then your thought (comment) about the topic.

BUT ASL is more of a concept and Subject-Verb-Object is fine too. I choose to do O-S-V and people who are deaf understand. Just get your concept across.

There is more to the "Time + Topic + Comment" but this is the basic.

Also Wh questions (Who, What, When etc) go at the END of a sentence.

Where are you going?
go you where

Hope this helps.
Michell

Cat
05-02-2007, 12:21 PM
I just received these resources from a representative at GLAAD in Los Angeles. I hope they're helpful.

http://www.lifeprint.com/index.htm FREE!

http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm Free online dictionary