PDA

View Full Version : Girl Scout words

sherry3995
01-03-2006, 12:52 AM
Hi I was wondering if there were signs for any of the following words?

Girl Scout
Leader
Level
Daisy
Brownie
Junior
Cadett
Senior
Troop

I am going to be leading a class at our annual leader training event and want to know the signs above.

Thanks

dmmetler
01-03-2006, 09:15 AM
Lesson tutor (www.lessontutor.com) has the promise and law adapted for ASL, but it's a pay download, so I haven't gotten it yet.

3LittleBees
01-03-2006, 10:03 AM
Hi I was wondering if there were signs for any of the following words?

Girl Scout
Leader
Level
Daisy
Brownie
Junior
Cadett
Senior
Troop

I am going to be leading a class at our annual leader training event and want to know the signs above.

Thanks

That's great that you are leading a class; I checked out www.aslpro.com and it has all of the signs except for Brownie, Junior, and Cadett. Girls Scout are not combined, you can find them sepreatly and then combine them. Good luck finding the other 3.

sherry3995
01-17-2006, 01:35 PM
Is there another Girl Scout mom out there that may have a sign for Brownie, Jounior, Caddett or Senior?

Would you use the sign for Daisy as in the flower for the level of girl scout daisy?

Thanks
Sherry

ASLReBecca
01-17-2006, 06:47 PM
My daughter just turned two and I don't know what the words mean, so I am currently at a loss. I have asked one of my friends who is also deaf since she has a daughter that is in fifth grade. She might know. I will get back with you ASAP with the answers though.

I looked over the list from the first query and I figure some would be generalized, but I could be wrong...

Girl Scout-GIRL+ the 3 fingers on forehead how they do their little salute or whatever it is...I've seen the boys put their fingers up to do the Pledge, but I know nothing of the programs.

Leader-you probably already know that one...LEAD +PERSON

Level-LEVEL looks like EQUAL but tapped sort of like across the body, showing equalness, and if it's a higher level, then one hand would go up a little.

Daisy-is this their name or is it their level, same-as freshman, sophomore, junior, senior? Same question for these words: Brownie, Junior, Cadet, Senior

If I were put on the spot and had to interpret this and that's what it is...simply levels of Girl Scouts, then I would use my non-dominant hand, put up the number five, palm facing towards your chest, and tap each one. So if Daisy is the youngest level, tap it with a D, then tap the number one finger with a B, then tap the middle finger with your index finger, then sign a J, tap your fourth finger with a C, and then tap the pinkie with an S.

Mind you, if this were a deaf group of girls, they would have the names fingerspelled first, then initialized from there on out. That's how it would be clarified.

Troop-simply sign GROUP or CLASS, in the area of the group. You can split the kids up by their group or troop level and then show the sign for GROUP or CLASS to show them the difference. Does that help any?

radienerin
01-27-2006, 05:31 PM
As a long time girl scout my self who earned her gold award this past june try getting your hands on the old old version of the brownie handbook. When I was a brownie my handbook had some sign language in it to like the promise and such.

Tiffany

raccoonjlc
01-27-2006, 08:40 PM
This was all helpful, but I bet you could not guess what they wanted to learn in ASL???

They wanted to know the signs to ask someone If they wanted to buy Girl Scout Cookies. and of course their please and thank yous.

We really did not focus much (after all my research) they were excited to learn signs for every day items.
We did Silly Pizza, colors of the Rainbow, In a house.. ect

Sherry,

I just realized that this is my daughters log on.