View Full Version : tights (or pantyhose)

01-11-2006, 12:02 PM
Hi all,

it's very cold these days and my daughter has to wear tights - I always wonder if I should sign SOCKS or PANTS!?

Is there a special sign for that?


01-15-2006, 10:06 AM
Doesn't anyone sign that - or don't your children wear them? :confused:


01-15-2006, 12:53 PM
...but I was hoping someone knew!!

01-15-2006, 02:54 PM
I sign LONG SOCKS-although that's probably not correct. And usually when I'm trying to get them on her, I'm usually too busy wrestling wiggle worm to have hands free to sign with!

01-15-2006, 04:12 PM
I know the SEE sign for them. You sign socks using your index and middle fingers--like an H for hose, as in pantyhose. In SEE sign this is also the sign for hose, as in the thing you use to get water to wash your car. :rolleyes:

01-16-2006, 01:49 PM
Thanks for you answers! :)
I like the SEE-sign, it's so simple! ;)

What do the native signers think?


01-16-2006, 02:34 PM
My favorite online dictionary (http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm) does actually show a sign for 'pantyhose', described as:

"The hands pull up the pantyhose on one leg." (video definitely helps! Check it out.)

01-17-2006, 01:00 PM
Thank you,

I always look at http://aslpro.com, but they don't have pantihose listed.


01-17-2006, 01:08 PM
Glad I could help. In a previous thread, an expert said, "www.aslpro.com is an option, but not always as accurate as it needs to be. Just a "FYI'. Utilize all of your options when you go searching for signs."

Having said (or, well, quoted) that, I'm not always great at remembering to check alternate dictionaries/sources either. :rolleyes:

01-18-2006, 10:19 AM
I have problems with my browser on http://commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm, so I normally use http://aslpro.de.

I remember the statement you quote, ReBecca said that. :)


01-18-2006, 11:11 AM
LOL, great memory! Well, since you probably can't see the video clip, I'll add to their description. It looks like they are holding the "pantyhose" with "F" hands (you know, that "dainty" way we all use when we're dressing ;) ), and don't bend at the waist or anything, just pull up from mid-thigh to your rib cage on the same (dominant) side. I guess they must be control-tops, ha, ha...

01-18-2006, 12:53 PM
That exactly the way, I dress myself! :D ...only with F-Hands! :p

I'll show it to my daughter next time I dress her!