Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum How Do You Sign.......?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I Don't Care

Default I Don't Care

I was just curious about this one. I have seen this signed by swiping your index finger off the end of your nose. But, I looked it up on ASLPRO.com and couldn't find it anywhere.
    Of course, this is not something I want to teach my DD to say to me! She is sassy enough in English!

Also, does anyone know "what's wrong?" I have seen this done like a "Y" handshape bounced off of your chin. Is that right?
    -Katie

SAHM to Meghan (2 1/2 years old, 30 signs -and still learning!)

Quote Originally Posted by MegsMom

Also, does anyone know "what's wrong?" I have seen this done like a "Y" handshape bounced off of your chin. Is that right?
    For "what's wrong", I sign wrong (like you described above) and the question word what.

Please correct me if I'm wrong!

The ASL browser has a really good description to go along with the signs. http://www.commtechlab.msu.edu/sites/aslweb/browser.htm

The way you described them both sounds correct to me.
    Bridget

Home schooling mom to 5 great kids

If you are looking for a sassy reply, along the lines of I don't care, you can flick your middle fingers on your shoulders. It's kind of like the sign for LIGHT, but instead of flicking your chin with one hand you flick your right shoulder with your right hand and at the same time flick your left shoulder with your left hand. It's slang for "that's not my responsibility." The sign for RESPONSIBLE is putting both hands on one shoulder. This slang sign is like you are flicking responsibility off.

visit us at http://familylobby.com/Greathouse
    Twin toddlerhood is a bit like living with two incontinent maniacs with an eating disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by MegsMom
    I was just curious about this one. I have seen this signed by swiping your index finger off the end of your nose. But, I looked it up on ASLPRO.com and couldn't find it anywhere.
    Of course, this is not something I want to teach my DD to say to me! She is sassy enough in English!

You could also do I-DON'T-CARE by making a flattened O handshape, thumb side on your nose, and in the same motion as the one mentioend above (which could be/is more likely interpreted as "I DON'T MIND, or DO YOU MIND, like a more polite version of I don't care)... but as you swing the flattened O handshape off your nose, you open your hand (like you're throwing something, or the motion like BLESS). Bad description... have you seen this?

"WHAT'S-WRONG" could be signed WHAT WRONG, or you could just sign WRONG gently with an inquisitive face, like your face is "saying" the "what's the matter, is there something wrong" part.

Hope that helps...
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Quote Originally Posted by jenml
    You could also do I-DON'T-CARE by making a flattened O handshape, thumb side on your nose, and in the same motion as the one mentioend above (which could be/is more likely interpreted as "I DON'T MIND, or DO YOU MIND, like a more polite version of I don't care)... but as you swing the flattened O handshape off your nose, you open your hand (like you're throwing something, or the motion like BLESS). Bad description... have you seen this?
    That's exactly the version from the link I posted. They describe it as if smelling a flower and throwing it away from you as if you don't like the smell. Your description was dead on.
    Bridget

Home schooling mom to 5 great kids

Quote Originally Posted by fia's mom
    That's exactly the version from the link I posted. They describe it as if smelling a flower and throwing it away from you as if you don't like the smell. Your description was dead on.
    Oh... I don't usually go to the link before I respond, so I didn't check (impulsive-me?)
    Glad I was clear.

Today, Henry came home from school and his favorite phrase seems to be "I-DON'T-CARE"... kind of out of no where! It's, (sign and voice at same time): "No, I don't care to tell you about my day, mamma".... "I don't care to tell you about lunch today".... "I don't care to look to talk to you and daddy about this right now".
    Is this what I have to look forward to on the brink of his four year old birthday!??! Or is it a glimpse of his teenage years?! Kind of cute (only because he said it nicely, without being mad or upset.. just matter of fact), but took me by surprise, too!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Quote Originally Posted by jenml
    Today, Henry came home from school and his favorite phrase seems to be "I-DON'T-CARE"... kind of out of no where! It's, (sign and voice at same time): "No, I don't care to tell you about my day, mamma".... "I don't care to tell you about lunch today".... "I don't care to look to talk to you and daddy about this right now".
    Is this what I have to look forward to on the brink of his four year old birthday!??! Or is it a glimpse of his teenage years?! Kind of cute (only because he said it nicely, without being mad or upset.. just matter of fact), but took me by surprise, too!
    That is cute! Caitlyn is almost 4 too and perhaps its the age. Her saying is "Just forget it" or "I'm busy right now, we'll talk later" which she says so calmly. I secretly smile though, how could you not love this age!
    Jessica, mom to Caitlyn 5 years old
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23.../164_6410c.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by bjcengh
    Caitlyn is almost 4 too and perhaps its the age. Her saying is "Just forget it" or "I'm busy right now, we'll talk later" which she says so calmly. I secretly smile though, how could you not love this age!
    Hahaha..Oh, no, so it may be a four year old thing!! How matter-of-fact it is said does make it pretty funny. I've gotten the "I can't... I'm busy right now" schtick, too, actually!! And that's not something we say to him (or do we?!?! I'll have to monitor that!), so that he picked that up is hysterical.
    I also love that he says "I'm disappointed", "I'm frustrated because...", "that is really annoying me...". Too funny. Such a grown up boy in a little body!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT