Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum How Do You Sign.......?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: pretzel

Default pretzel

How do you sign pretzel?
    http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y51...chelTaylor.jpg
    Mom to 3 kids. Taylor (4-6-93) Cameron (5-23-02) and Kaylynne Electa (1-25-06) Mild Hypotonic CP/bilateral SMO's http://specialsigningkids.blogspot.com/
    http://www.myspace.com/taylorcamelhttp://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=669073747
    :Hug

I was told to fingerspell (by a Central Ohio interpreter). I hope there is a better way, since (1) I'm still terrible at fingerspelling & (2) Sophie is only 2, so she probably won't be able to sign it back for quite some time.

He also suggested that for favorite foods that are normally fingerspelled, we could make up a "home sign". I'm trying to avoid that as much as possible.
    - Christelie in Ohio
    ** Sophie, 10/2007 **
    signing colors (right hand) & sign name (left hand)
    born 8/2003

Default pretzel sign

Hook your two pinkys together and move both hands to floor together as if shaking someone's hand once.

HTH
    Sandy S
    David and Ivan 3 yrs old

Default pretzel

I got this from a friend of mine who is studying now to be an interpreter. I hope I can explain it right.

make 2 R's pointed down. move them in a pretzel shape (overlapping circles toward the middle, up, out and around)

Kim

Thanks! I am glad for a couple of alternatives to fingerspelling. Guess I should also get off my duff and go to the fingerspelling practice page. Sophie's growing fast, and can't be my excuse forever
    - Christelie in Ohio
    ** Sophie, 10/2007 **
    born 8/2003

Default Another version...

It's been quite a while since my last post on this thread. Since then, I've also been shown another version.

I'm terrible at describing, but here goes:

Handshape (both hands the same) is all fist, but with index finger and thumb forming a circle.

Action is linking the index/thumb circles of both hands (like a link in a chain), and then releasing to re-link the other way (e.g. link/circle that was parallel to floor now rotates perpendicular, and vica versa).

Whew! Somebody tell me if that made ANY sense! I'm guessing that "pretzel" is pretty regionalized, and fingerspelling would be most recognizable until a Deaf person from your area corrects you/shows you the sign. (I was using the pinky shake, and we got 'corrected')
    - Christelie in Ohio
    ** Sophie, 10/2007 **
    born 8/2003

It must be regional-the one I learned is to make two Ds, then link the index fingers like the twist on a pretzel.

Alli signs CRACKER and then sort of draws a circle shape in the air-which seems pretty reasonable to me. I've shown her the sign I know for PRETZEL, but so far, she prefers her own.
    [COLOR=blue]Music teacher who loves to integrate sign, and mom to Alli, 11/25/04. She walks, she talks, she signs! She's super-toddler!COLOR]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ningbearsm.jpg

Do it AGAIN, mommy! AGAIN!!

Default how we sign pretzel

Hi,

Before my newborn son was born, we took a signing class. We asked how to sign pretzel because my daughter loves to eat them. She said she didn't know of one (she's been signing for 20+ years) - so we made one up. We sign a "p" on the elbow... like signing cracker but using a "p" instead of a fist. She said that was fine, so that's what we've stuck with.

Quote Originally Posted by heather_212
    Hi,

Before my newborn son was born, we took a signing class. We asked how to sign pretzel because my daughter loves to eat them. She said she didn't know of one (she's been signing for 20+ years) - so we made one up. We sign a "p" on the elbow... like signing cracker but using a "p" instead of a fist. She said that was fine, so that's what we've stuck with.
    I like that!! Of course, who can beat "pineapple bread" for cuteness? LOL
    - Christelie in Ohio
    ** Sophie, 10/2007 **
    born 8/2003

Default Me Too!

I love the 'p' cracker sign for pretzel!