Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum Teaching ASL in the Classroom

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Signs for What a Wonderful World???

Hey all...I dont know if this is the right place to post this, but i am looking for the signs for the song "What a Wonderful World"....can anybody help me?

My niece who is in first grade just signed this song in her spring music program. I am sure if you call or e-mail her school they would be able to help you out. It is Paragon Charter Academy. Here is a link to there information. Good luck.

http://www.heritageacademies.com/Brix?pageID=389

One thing to consider-how much time do you have to teach the song, and how familiar are your children with signing and with the song? What a Wonderful World doesn't have a lot of repetition, so that's a LOT of signs for young children to learn if they don't already know them, and there's not a lot of repetition. It's a beautiful piece, but honestly, if I was going to perform it with kinders in May, I probably would have started in about January. Or, possibly use pictures for the images, and have the children just sign "I think to myself, what a wonderful world".

I love the Louis Armstrong version (which is the original) over the Dr. Jean or other newer ones-the song just seems to work better in that voicing.

I would sign (CASE approximation, not true ASL syntax)

SEE GREEN TREE, RED ROSES
    ALL WATCH FLOWERS BLOOM
    THINK ME, WHAT WONDERFUL WORLD

SEE BLUE SKIES, WHITE CLOUDS,
    DARK DAY, BRIGHT NIGHT,
    I THINK, WHAT WONDEFUL WORLD

RAINBOW COLORS, PRETTY SKY
    COLORFUL FACES, WALK
    FRIENDS TOGETHER SAY HOW DO YOU DO.
    TRULY SAY I LOVE YOU

HEAR BABIES CRY, WATCH GROW.
    BABIES LEARN MORE, I KNOW
    THINK ME, WHAT WONDERFUL WORLD

May there always be Sunshine is very pretty, and it is easy to alter to fit the signs/words the children know.

PLEASE, FOREVER (you can use ALWAYS as well, but the forever sign is more clear to see, and the speed is slow enough to make it work), SUN,
    FOREVER, BLUE SKY
    FOREVER MOMMY
    FOREVER ME

And substitute in what is appropriate for the children. May there always be kittens, always be puppies, always be candy...etc.

I've also done this with a small class where I've put the children's names in the song. May there always be Casey, always Thomas, etc. I usually have children sign the first letter of another child's name unless we have actual name signs for this purpose (and it helps work on that first-letter correspondence which is so important for little ones).

My 4 yr olds are signing SING, from Sesame Street, for their final program this year as their "special" song.

SING, SING MUSIC
    SING LOUD
    SING STRONG,
    SING GOOD, NOT BAD
    SING HAPPY, NOT SAD
    SING, SING SONG,
    MAKE IT SPECIAL, SING ALWAYS
    NOT WORRY, ALL WANT TO HEAR MUSIC
    SING, SING MUSIC

We've been doing this as the final song in our class since August, so by now they're pretty fluent in it.
    [COLOR=blue]Music teacher who loves to integrate sign, and mom to Alli, 11/25/04. She walks, she talks, she signs! She's super-toddler!COLOR]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ningbearsm.jpg

Do it AGAIN, mommy! AGAIN!!

Talking Signing What a Wounderful Would???

Hi I'm new
    I"m so happy you are talking about this!!!!
    I am a preschool teacher and my class is signing "What a Wonderful World" as you are. Cool!!
    I think its Bright days and dark nights
    I have also found a GREAT children's book
    What a Wonderful World by Jean Karl Illustrated by Ashly Bryan I found it on Amazon
    I would give the link but don't know how.
    We have worked on the signing for a week and the children are doing GREAT!!
    Let me know how it's working for you.
    Signing in Co.

Time is not a constraint on teaching this song.

I have found some other ASL "interpretations" of this song, though I am not sure about the syntax... Tell me what you think:

I SEE FOREST GREEN*, RED ROSE, TOO.
    I SEE THEM-rt BLOOM FOR ME AND (2h)YOU.
    I THINK TALK-TO-SELF, "WOW", WORLD WONDERFUL.

I SEE SKY BLUE*, CLOUD WHITE.
    DAY BRIGHT, GOD BLESS, NIGHT DARK HE-ctr,hi WATCH.

RAINBOW THERE, PRETTY SKY.
    PEOPLE PASS-BY, THEIR-rt FACE REFLECT.
    I WATCH FRIEND. THEY-rt SHAKE-HANDS, ASK WHAT'S-UP.
    REALLY MEAN, I LOVE YOU.

I alt.HEAR BABY alt.CRY. I WATCH-lf THEM-lf GROW-UP.
    THEY-lf WILL LEARN MORE-THAN I KNOW.
    YES, I THINK TALK-TO-SELF, "WOW", WORLD WONDERFUL.
    TRUE-BIZ.

I think i prefer dmmetler's version...it seems more kid friendly! Thanks for all the input!

Quote Originally Posted by TLit
    Hi I'm new
    I"m so happy you are talking about this!!!!
    I am a preschool teacher and my class is signing "What a Wonderful World" as you are. Cool!!
    I think its Bright days and dark nights
    I have also found a GREAT children's book
    What a Wonderful World by Jean Karl Illustrated by Ashly Bryan I found it on Amazon
    I would give the link but don't know how.
    We have worked on the signing for a week and the children are doing GREAT!!
    Let me know how it's working for you.
    That book is FABULOUS!! I own it...

How great for somebody else to be teaching this song as I am...Do you have any advice? This is my first time teaching this song in ASL...What signs are you using?

Default Wounderful World

Quote Originally Posted by KindergartenTeacher
    That book is FABULOUS!! I own it...

How great for somebody else to be teaching this song as I am...Do you have any advice? This is my first time teaching this song in ASL...What signs are you using?
    I am also so happy I found you. I gave some info. on How do you sign this thread.
    Look for It there if you have any advice for me let me know.
    If you need more help with the signs Ill try to do my best to help but I am also new with this song.
    Signing in Co.

Default Wonderful World!!!!

The Children Did it!!!
    The pre-K class at our school signed What A Wonderful World. I am So PROUD of them!!!!! There was not a dry eye in the crowed. This week was truly amazing not only was the sign language great but I found out I'm pregnant.
    Signing in Co.

Talking congrats and congrats

Glad to hear your show went well...and extra happy for you that there is a baby to be in the future.
    june

Quote Originally Posted by TLit
    The Children Did it!!!
    The pre-K class at our school signed What A Wonderful World. I am So PROUD of them!!!!! There was not a dry eye in the crowed. This week was truly amazing not only was the sign language great but I found out I'm pregnant.
    Congrats on a great show. My daughter's pre-k class also did a sign language presentation during Christmas and they signed Silent Night. I got all choked up watching them sign too. So happy to hear the children did it.

And congrats on your baby to be!
    Jessica, mom to Caitlyn 5 years old
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y23.../164_6410c.jpg