Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum How Do You Sign.......?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Ceiling Fan or Fan?

Alex loves ceiling fans, always points at them.

I found the sign for ceiling fan here http://www.aslpro.com/cgi-bin/aslpro/aslpro.cgi

But it looks really difficult for a 2 year old plus I have no clue what they are signing in the middle. It looks like finger spelling to me but I don't know what they are spelling.

She spelled fan in the middle, I guess so you don't mistake the sign for spinning ceiling?

She spells fan differently than I do!

I learned N with the fingers completely down over the thumb. That's why it looked weird to me.

I completely agree! But SOOOOOOO many people fs with M's and N's having straight fingers that I had to get used to it. It's faster than curling your fingers in, I guess

I can fingerspell the whole alphabet myself but I only recognize it from the back LOL. I've never seen anybody fs the alphabet in front of me.

Girl, you need some ST! ABC Signs! Watch Rachel sign the alphabet and try to make out all the letters- it's way good practice! And aslpro.com has fingerspelling quizzes that are pretty good too

We sign fan like the ASL pro demo but without the beginning part (flat handed FAN part). We will FS F-A-N and then do the finger motion. It's obvious if it's a ceiling fan or floor fan by where and how you do the finger spinning part.

My 5 yr old son just does the spinning part without the FS part (right now), but we always FS.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Default Sign for Fan

Hello

We use the pointer finger pointed up and twist it in a circle for our ceiling fan. I can't find any ASL dictionaries online to confirm if this is the true ASL sign, sorry if it's not.