Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum Baby Signing Time

+ Reply to Thread

Default Dirty and Pig Signs

Are the signs for dirty and pig the same thing? I watched part of Leah's Farm earlier and saw the sign for pig, then we watched the Playtime signs and saw the sign for dirty and I asked hubby if that was also the sign for pig.

They are actually different. For signing "pig", all four fingers stay together almost like you are signing 14.

For "dirty" you are wiggling your fingers under your chin.

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I think I got it!
    Cathy, mom to:
    Leigha (8)
    Robert, Noah, and Matthew (4) born at 27 weeks
    Visit us at Leigha and the Triplets
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...secondtry2.jpg

I believe that to be the difference too. I was actualy taught that they were the same thing though. I'm sure you'll find many Deaf signers that you'll just have to watch for context to know which they mean.

Funny story about that though.... I started learning sign when my family lived in Michigan. My brother and I attended classes at our church taught by the Sister Missionaries. Well, one day in his Sunday classes he signed COOL (which I know is different than PIG but for an 8 year old boy that JUST started learning sign....) Well, his teacher became VERY offended because she just KNEW he had called her a pig! Now, she didn't know any sign either so I think it was just a very big miscommunication!
    Erica (Utah)
    DD 1.14.05
    Stay at home Mom and Photographer
    Engraving Memories Photography

Well they're pretty close together but I think I'd be able to tell if Alex were signing pig or dirty, depending on how he's using it.

I wasn't seeing them done at the same time so I was just going based on memory.