Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum How Do You Sign.......?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: ...patience?

Default ...patience?

I've been working with my 3-year-old on this, and would like a sign for it, so it can be more of a gentle reminder when we are in public or something. (I LOVE signing for that! She's very sensitive, and cries if disiplined in front of other people...so a gentle signed reminder has been AWESOME for us.)
    The only sign I could find was PATIENT...which is totally different. Anyone know?
    Thanks!
    ~Tara

Arrow Patient on ASLpro

I saw the word "Patient-Characteristic" on ASLpro and they signed it as an "a" handshape being pulled from your lip to your chin. (Like "red," only with an "a" handshape.)

Quote Originally Posted by purplewowies View Post
    I saw the word "Patient-Characteristic" on ASLpro and they signed it as an "a" handshape being pulled from your lip to your chin. (Like "red," only with an "a" handshape.)
    Ditto. That's how I would figure it is signed. I hope that helps!
    Mom to Darren 6/1/05 and Ashley 2/13/09

Quote Originally Posted by purplewowies View Post
    an "a" handshape being pulled from your lip to your chin. (Like "red," only with an "a" handshape.)
    Right... with closed lips (I didn't see how ASLPro did it, but just as a reminder since RED doesn't really have closed lips).

Careful not to do that handshape in that location with a different movement (more of a "gentle bounce")... then you're telling your daughter it's a SECRET!!

If you do the same handshape and movement as PATIENCE with a slight downward zigzag (hard to describe), then you are changing everything! SUFFER (or "in pain"/suffering).

Just having some fun here....
    There's a fun round robin game where you have the same handshape and go around making new words (in any location, movement, palm orientation... as long as it's the same handshape) until someone is "out". We do this with young kids with letters or categories (same game... Name things that start with "D"... Name an animal....).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Quote Originally Posted by jenml View Post
    Right... with closed lips (I didn't see how ASLPro did it, but just as a reminder since RED doesn't really have closed lips).

Careful not to do that handshape in that location with a different movement (more of a "gentle bounce")... then you're telling your daughter it's a SECRET!!

If you do the same handshape and movement as PATIENCE with a slight downward zigzag (hard to describe), then you are changing everything! SUFFER (or "in pain"/suffering).

Just having some fun here....
    There's a fun round robin game where you have the same handshape and go around making new words (in any location, movement, palm orientation... as long as it's the same handshape) until someone is "out". We do this with young kids with letters or categories (same game... Name things that start with "D"... Name an animal....).

Neat! I saw you sign "be patient" to your little sweetie Henry at the ST show - I wasn't familiar with the sign, but understood it because of the context of the situation. I remember thinking how similiar it was to the sign we use for PACIFIER (though more with the thumb tilted back and a little bounce down). Now I know about SECRET too! This is so much fun!
    -Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by 3girlsmom View Post
    Neat! I saw you sign "be patient" to your little sweetie Henry at the ST show - I wasn't familiar with the sign, but understood it because of the context of the situation.
    Hahaha!! How cool, Wendy! I can't believe you remembered that (it was last Feb... wow, long time!!).

BE PATIENT is a sign that Henry is VERY familiar with!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Thanks ladies! Now there's a sign that I know is going to be learned quickly because of how often it's going to get used!! (Right now it's been a lot of WAIT...RELAX.) This is so much better. I'm glad I asked, and you knew!
    THANKS!
    ~Tara