Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum How Do You Sign.......?

+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Stuffed Animal?

Question Stuffed Animal?

Hello all, I'm new. My DD is 14 months and I've been teaching her sign for a short time now. Is there a general sign for stuffed animal? I read a description once but couldn't understand it well enough to teach it, then saw one for teddy bear in which it was bear + doll but while my DD has a huge collection of stuffed toys I can't really think of any that are technically teddy bears. I did look on a couple of the online dictionaries that I saw but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

Julie

Arrow Maybe...

Quote Originally Posted by oneponygirl View Post
    I read a description once but couldn't understand it well enough to teach it, then saw one for teddy bear in which it was bear + doll
    Well, from the bear + doll thing, you could probably do animal + doll for stuffed animal. other than that, I don't know.

There are ways to differentiate, but some might include fingerspelling...

A simple way would be to sign BEAR BROWN, or BEAR WHITE (whatever the color may be). Or you can add a characteristic that makes that doll unique, such as BEAR DANCER (if it's a bear with a tutu on!!!)... hard to describe without seeing your collection, but hope that helps.

My son sleeps with a stuffed baby doll (soft like a pillow, but in the shape of a doll). He got it when he was 6 months old for Christmas (and I love that he still has it and loves it). He calls it BLUE BABY, and we sign just that. We don't get into signing DOLL or S-T-U-F-F-E-D or any of that, so just think of the item, and get creative. Make it meaningful. Even if you add facial expression or something about it that's unmistakeable, then that would be great.

More examples: He also has a teddy bear he calls Carter Bear (the name that he gave it), so he signs "C" BEAR. He signs BLUE G-R for his Grover doll (from sesame street... kind of clever because when his father and I fingerspell G-R-O-V-E-R, he catches the beginning and end, and makes like he "signing" the name, too!!). He has a giraffe he sleeps with that he simply calls GIRAFFE (not adding "doll"), but if he had to explain the item, or ask "where is my giraffe?" he would sign GIRAFFE DOLL.

HTH
    Last edited by jenml; 01-25-2008 at 05:35 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Thanks guys!

I like the animal+doll suggestion. That might work. Giving each animal a sign is a bit much for right now. She's a stuffy freak so I was hoping to come up with one sign that would work for all of them - at least for now. Right now she also likes to use the sign "book" for everything that she doesn't already know a sign for and seems reluctant to add any more to her vocabulary. Just a matter of time, I know.
    Julie - mom to Gabe (02/04), Zion (10/06) and ? due 04/08. Read about us on www.wellblessed.blogspot.com