Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum How Do You Sign.......?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Superpowers (and other superhero signs)

We now have "Wonder Dinosaurs" and "SuperSauruses" flying around, due to a combination of "Wonderpets" and "Super Why" and while I can find signs for POWER (like energy), or SUPER (signed the same as GREAT) my guess is that there probably are signs that are better suited.

I really wish someone would make a dictionary of "preschooler imaginative play" signs. I can't imagine that Deaf children haven't come up with a whole library of signs for the kinds of things preschoolers play with, but whenver I go to look them up, it seems like there's ONE sign, at most, for a whole category, and somehow, I doubt preschoolers playing with dinosaurs just sign "DINOSAUR, DINOSAUR, DINOSAUR", since from what I've seen, hearing kids get enthralled with the various names to a great degree.
    [COLOR=blue]Music teacher who loves to integrate sign, and mom to Alli, 11/25/04. She walks, she talks, she signs! She's super-toddler!COLOR]

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...ningbearsm.jpg

Do it AGAIN, mommy! AGAIN!!

Default Super heros

We sign and "s" handshape tracing the S like Superman on one's chest for Superman. I also go ahead and sign that for other super heros and then fingerspell the name. I would think you could sign that along with dinosaur or whatever for those as well. Sometimes, children will make up their own sign names for certain characters that they see on TV or movies often.
    Don't be afraid of fingerspelling with little ones. They can easily recognize fingerspelled words and try to reproduce them, usually with just the first letter and then "babbling" in fingerspelling.

Lezlie
    Lezlie Wendt
    Sign2Me Instructor
    Educational Interpreter

Quote Originally Posted by Lezliej View Post
    .... Sometimes, children will make up their own sign names for certain characters that they see on TV or movies often.
    Don't be afraid of fingerspelling with little ones. They can easily recognize fingerspelled words and try to reproduce them, usually with just the first letter and then "babbling" in fingerspelling....
    Right

And my son has made up many of his own signs for tv characters (like the Wiggles-each of the cast individually and the group, Blue's Clues, ELMO, etc... way back when he was like 2 or 3). Just use what your child comes up with if he is able to!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT