Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum How Do You Sign.......?

+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Red face Potty words: Pee pee / Poo poo

I am sure these are on here somewhere but I can't find it. My students (aged 2-6) Have asked me how to sign pee pee and poo poo. I taught them toilet / potty. But they want to know the specific signs. I didn't want to chance using a dictionary and have the kids end up signing urinate or something like that, that a kid wouldn't actually use. So help me with these potty words please.

Trisha

Default Hth

Quote Originally Posted by aligreat View Post
    PEE PEE=Using the P handshape, touch the tip of the middle finger to the tip of your nose, bouncing slightly.
    POOP=Same beginning postion as the sign MAKE. (Both hands in S handshape with nondominant hand on top.) Dominant hand drops a little bit and becomes a 5 handshape, as if the nondominant hand has just pooped it out.

Think of it this way. Wouldn't you prefer that she walk around signing these words rather than yelling them out in the middle of church?
    Hope this Helps!
    Signing Buggie
    ~Show me a sign

That sign with the P handshape on your nose as described above is actually the sign for the male anatomy... careful. Use the sign for POTTY or BATHROOM to sign peepee (T handshape and shake it, or rock it gently).

And to sign poop, you could do it as described above, but making it the 5 handshape (dropping down) is more like diarhea (sorry to get graphic)... you could also do it as an A handshape, and that's more commonly used.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Quote Originally Posted by jenml View Post
    That sign with the P handshape on your nose as described above is actually the sign for the male anatomy... careful.
    I actually found out last Friday that I have been signing that wrong.
    It is the difference between a noun and a verb. In ASL the verbs are done in a single motion, and nouns bounce slightly. I thought that it was odd that verbs don't move and nouns do.

The sign for PEE-PEE is touching the letter P to your nose--without bouncing. Bouncing makes it the defining part of the male anatomy.

visit us at http://familylobby.com/Greathouse
    Twin toddlerhood is a bit like living with two incontinent maniacs with an eating disorder.

Quote Originally Posted by aligreat View Post
    The sign for PEE-PEE is touching the letter P to your nose--without bouncing. Bouncing makes it the defining part of the male anatomy.

What a great discussion we have here on the forum! haha
    Perhaps it's avoided all together here in CT/NYC area because we just use that P on the nose for the body part, and sign POTTY or FS p-e-e for the other.

Glad we're all friends here!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Default Careful!

Tori-chan,
    From your name, I'm guessing that you could be in Japan. Please be aware that the sign for 'potty' in ASL is a vulgar sign for the...er...external female reproductive organs. It would be rather shocking for a child to be flashing that at their parents or each other, possibly as shocking as a child waving their middle finger around. If you are in Japan, I suggest using a substitute.

Quote Originally Posted by OsakaWilson View Post
    Tori-chan,
    From your name, I'm guessing that you could be in Japan. Please be aware that the sign for 'potty' in ASL is a vulgar sign for the...er...external female reproductive organs. It would be rather shocking for a child to be flashing that at their parents or each other, possibly as shocking as a child waving their middle finger around. If you are in Japan, I suggest using a substitute.
    Isn't that soo interesting?!!?!?! We all do need to be careful about foreign signs in foreign countries... thanks for bringing this up.

Another one is that there is a vulgar sign in Ireland which is just a sequential number for us. (Not Irish signing, just like a hearing non signing person would "flip" someone off... same thing).
    Good to know!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

For a girl, one of the signs for "pee" is done by taking the "A" hand, palm facing left, and stroking the thumbnail down the chin twice.

For boys, if you want to avoid the whole accidentally-signing-penis thing, you could use this one: "K" hand held out from the body and slightly tilted up from the wrist, then drop from the wrist so the palm is parallel the floor.

Clear as mud, right?

Default website

Signwithsam.com has an illustration of how to sign these words

Quote Originally Posted by skj View Post
    For a girl, one of the signs for "pee" is done by taking the "A" hand, palm facing left, and stroking the thumbnail down the chin twice.

For boys, if you want to avoid the whole accidentally-signing-penis thing, you could use this one: "K" hand held out from the body and slightly tilted up from the wrist, then drop from the wrist so the palm is parallel the floor.

Clear as mud, right?
    I sure would not like to mix it up then later my child would be a laughing stock for using the wrong language. Thanks! Now its corrected after all the posts!