Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum How Do You Sign.......?

+ Reply to Thread

Default Walt Disney World Signs

I thought you all might enjoy a link to a video where one of the Cast Members at Disney takes you through all of the "official" Disney signs. Some are pretty easy to figure out, but I enjoyed it. We were trying to get ready for a trip to Disney and I e-mailed their guy in charge of Special Needs and he sent me this link! My kids LOVED it almost (but not quite) as much as watching Rachel. Goofy is our favorite Sign!

http://www.wdwpublicaffairs.com/Topi...3-e914838dcc48

Scroll down the page to "Learn Disney Sign Language "

Thank you! I am going to go take a peek!
    Cathy, mom to:
    Leigha (8)
    Robert, Noah, and Matthew (4) born at 27 weeks
    Visit us at Leigha and the Triplets
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...secondtry2.jpg

Thumbs up Thanks!!!

That was great!! Thanks for sharing!
    ~Jeanette~

**Check out me signing songs!!**

http://www.youtube.com/jnettie321

That's so great that Disney PR has that out there to be consistent and easily accessible. Some of those characters I didn't even know, and I certainly didn't know about all the spin off adventures they have!!

We do MICKEY almost the same way, but we put the closed part of the C on our head. Here in NY/CT, DISNEY is also signed with a D but the location is where the Mickey ear goes. (just a couple local variations)

Interesting! Thanks for sharing this.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

Quote Originally Posted by jenml View Post
    We do MICKEY almost the same way, but we put the closed part of the C on our head. Here in NY/CT, DISNEY is also signed with a D but the location is where the Mickey ear goes. (just a couple local variations)
    Jen,

I have a question about that. With all the local variations, and variations for names signs what is best for me to teach my children? Have them watch the Disney PR clip or ask someone local how they are signed?

LeeAnn
    WAHM to Sarah, Maeghan and Samuel :Hug

Quote Originally Posted by ST! LeeAnn View Post
    Jen,

I have a question about that. With all the local variations, and variations for names signs what is best for me to teach my children? Have them watch the Disney PR clip or ask someone local how they are signed?

LeeAnn
    Well, the nice thing about Disney putting out their own versions (which I hope they got Deaf input) is that it might become more well known all over (the way the sign for LINCOLN or WASHINGTON or even GALLAUDET has become nationalized).

I would do it the Disney way, unless and until you meet a local Deaf person who shows you a different way.

Mickey and gang have been around for a long time... but this PR effort is new, and to that end, I applaud them for trying to become more nationalized. We'll still do MM our way here, but as you can see, it's not terribly different.

(We're going to Disneyland next summer... our second trip with Henry. Haven't been to Disney World since they were building EPCOT when I was 7!! Things have changed, I bet!! haha)
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Jen
    mother to three CODAs:
    Henry, 9, Successfully dealing with SPD & ADHD
    Alex, 4
    and Aidan, 2 1/2
    Stamford, CT

This might be a better link for the signs:

http://www.wdwpublicaffairs.com/Asse...2-ad4bbd37a79a

It looks like they won an award from the deaf community.

http://www.wdwpublicaffairs.com/Asse...5-b609feb5f609

The man in the video was the guy I orginially e-mailed. I heard back from him with the link to the video the next day! I was so excited because the video was exactly what I was looking for!

Default Thank you!

Thanks for the information.
    LeeAnn
    WAHM to Sarah, Maeghan and Samuel :Hug