Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs  
shop at the signing time web store
Go Back   Signing Time Forums - Sign Language, ASL, and Baby Signs Forum General Signing Time Discussion

+ Reply to Thread
Page 12 of 13 FirstFirst ... 2 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Default Inform me/let me know

Considering that ASL is based on concepts, it would not be conceptually acurate to ask Lucy, age 2, non-verbal at the time I wrote "Show me A Sign," to "tell me" anything at all. So you would not sign TELL ME or anything that would imply SAYing words with your mouth. The sign I use is based on the concept INFORM ME. It is more like GIVE INFORMATION TO ME. It demonstrates, in some way, any way let me know. AH, perhaps that is the best translation... LET ME KNOW! Let me know it, even if you can't say it!

Let me know you love me, let me know you're thinking of me, let me know all the different things you're thinking day and night. Let me know you're happy and you love it when we're laughing, let me know more. Show me a sign.

(For SHOW ME A SIGN, I sign SHOW ME and then sometimes I sign SIGN, othertimes I sign PROOF/FACT and other times i sign SHOW (which also means DEMONSTRATE/EXAMPLE) Can you see how those three different sign are each appropriate concepts?
    Rachel Coleman ~Mom to Leah age 12 and Lucy age 9
    Have you told someone about Signing Time today?

Yes I see!
    I use the ASL browser to help me learning and I thought your sign (for "tell me") talked by itself, but I didn't find the "translation" precisely.. that's why I'm asking!
    I wondered if you didn't make up this sign.
    I wanted to use it but I wanted to have the real signification, I know it wasn't "to tell" exactly..
    Elyianha
    Stay At Home Mum to 2 hearing girls -> Maeva (4) and Nadjat (2) who LOVE ST!
    We are learning to sign since May 15th 2007!

Default omg!!!

i just dpent my whole english class reading this thread i love it!!!!!

Red face Signing Time Trivia

I would really enjoy learning more of this as my daughter has Downs and she is really learning and picking up. We have purchased your DVD's number 1 and 2 - would it be too soon for the next ones yet? Thanks much

Tammy
    Sandusky OHIO

Default twins

Rach, in the My Favorite Things (volume 6) are the blonde twin boys from the movie Meet The Fockers? I saw a glimpse of them during the song "I can dance, walk, etc.." and thought, hmmmmmm I wonder if that's them....i need to take a closer look next time dd and I sit down to watch it.

~Sonda
    Last edited by dsbtad; 12-19-2007 at 10:37 PM.

Cool deckercat

I love this inside info. I'm a 46 yo guy and found ST by accident. nothing good on tv @ 3:30 pm. PBS had this weird show with a lady wearing colored band aids on her fingers. I watched a few times but would have felt stupid signing with all these little kids. Cut to over a year later. I watch evry day (m-f). I sing along and do everything except The Hopkins Hop *sorry froggie* and love it. I just started a class at The Center for the Deaf and Hard of Hearing here in Grand Rapids. I started with ASL II. So, thank you Rachel for saving me more than a few bucks. You are a true gift to the world and enhance the universal spirit. May you always find shade and sweet water.

Default Meet The Fockers

[QUOTE=dsbtad;20435]Rach, in the My Favorite Things (volume 6) are the blonde twin boys from the movie Meet The Fockers?

Yes they are the twins from Meet The Fockers, you ca see them in Baby Signing Time products as well. We were filming in Los Angeles while they were in production on the movie. Their mom contacted me because they are Signing Time fans. Leah and I were able to go on the Focker set and watch them film. Even with Barbra Streisand and Robert Deniro - in the twins eyes, Leah and I were the biggest stars around!
    Rachel Coleman ~Mom to Leah age 12 and Lucy age 9
    Have you told someone about Signing Time today?

Wink

This was fun to read. I always wondered where hopkins orig. came from. There are soo many fun facts you could have a triv game after you! LOL

Default How did you learn to sign?

Rachel,

How did you an Aaron learn how to sign when you found out Leah was deaf?

Arrow This is what I remember...

Quote Originally Posted by rose View Post
    Rachel,

How did you an Aaron learn how to sign when you found out Leah was deaf?
    I think they had a deaf mentor or something and were also teaching themselves. (I remember reading that somewhere!)

They first learned SEE (Signing Exact English), but then they wanted to talk about looking at red cars with Leah and decided ASL was right for them. (This was on special features for ST Vol 4 Family, Feelings, and Fun.)