Leah Coleman

A Mother’s Day Tribute

By LeeAnn Mason Words cannot express the amazing experiences over the last 14 years. Our hearts are full as we read the hundreds of emails, reviews, and letters we receive. It has been a privilege to have met so many of you at playgroups, speaking engagements, concerts, and other events. YOU are part of our Signing Time family. In 2002, Rachel Coleman and her sister, Emilie, created the first Signing Time video to help their friends and family members learn sign language so they could communicate with Rachel’s daughter, Leah, who is deaf.  We have been so blessed to see …

A Mother’s Day Tribute Read More »

American Sign Language – Celebrating 200 Years

According to The National Center for Health Statistics there are approximately 50 million Americans that have some degree of hearing loss. About 2 million are classified as deaf. Approximately 10% of those classified as deaf were born deaf, the other 90% lost their hearing later in life. American Sign Language is the 3rd most used language in the United States. It is estimated that 500,000 deaf people are in the US and Canada. American Sign Language is increasing in popularity, spreading to other countries, such as Japan and China, where is it being used for not only early communication, but as a bridge in learning English. Several organizations …

American Sign Language – Celebrating 200 Years Read More »

Signing Time – For Business View, with Brek Bolton, Fox 13 News Utah

[youtube https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P_5JcGvzoQk] Transcript Brek Bolton: Sometimes life’s obstacles can lead to opportunities. Meet Rachel and Leah Coleman. Their lives obstacles. Rachel Coleman: My oldest daughter, Leah, was born profoundly deaf. Brek Bolton: Communication became the challenge and a new language had to be learned. Rachel Coleman: My husband, Aaron, and I started using American Sign Language with her and just saw her communication skills take off. Brek Bolton: American Sign Language opened up Leah’s world but Rachel realized she needed to open that world to other kids. Rachel Coleman: He says I don’t want to be with Leah because she can’t talk. Brek Bolton: On the soccer …

Signing Time – For Business View, with Brek Bolton, Fox 13 News Utah Read More »

Film Highlights Impact of Cochlear Implants

Cochlear Implants: Leah’s Journey to Becoming Bilingual  Signing Time host Rachel Coleman has rarely spoken openly about her daughter Leah’s cochlear implant surgery. Until now. A new documentary film, Louder Than Words, reveals Rachel’s struggle to challenge her own long-held beliefs in making this complicated and far-reaching decision. Watch never-seen-before footage of Leah’s activation and follow her journey to becoming bilingual in both English and American Sign Language. Two Ways to See Louder Than Words 1. Digital Download Save $5 now with code: louder5 Get the Digital Download 2. Subscription This documentary is included in our All-Access SigningTime.TV subscription (which includes Baby Signing Time, Potty Time, Signing Time, Signing Time …

Film Highlights Impact of Cochlear Implants Read More »

Dorm Sweet Dorm

by Leah Coleman When I was packing up for college last fall, my mom came in my room and said that she had booked the plane tickets. “Tickets?” I asked, and then she told me she was coming with me. I was relieved, because I had completely assumed I was going to go on my own. We still laugh about it today. She had asked, “How on earth were you going to get to campus? A taxi?” “Yes, that was my plan!” I told her.  I’ve always been a little independent. Dorm life at RIT brought some new changes in my …

Dorm Sweet Dorm Read More »

Scroll to Top