Dolphin in Sign Language
Learn how to sign dolphin in ASL (American Sign Language) and enjoy this playful creature of the sea.
- Bring one arm about chest height, keeping arm parallel to your body, palm down, fingers resting gently curled. This is the ocean.
- With your other hand, extend your pointer finger and tuck the rest of your fingers into your palm. This is the dolphin.
- Next, make the dolphin swim! Starting near the resting hand, Wave your pointer finger up and down in small arcs, moving down the arm to crook of the elbow.
- This sign looks just like a dolphin playfully swimming through the waves in the ocean. Use this tip to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign dolphin in ASL
- Create games for children to play around ocean animals. Start with dolphin – how does a dolphin move? How do they play? Encourage your child to get creative and use their imagination as they pretend they are a dolphin. Sign often. Then try a different sea creature!
- Go on YouTube or a child friendly website where you can find videos of dolphins in the wild. Enjoy practicing the sign while you watch these beautiful creatures at play.
Dolphin! Your finger is the dolphin’s nose diving through the water! Dolphin!