Sports in Sign Language
Learn how to sign sports. What sports do you like?
1. Hold both hands up at about chest height. Close your fingers into a fist and extend just the thumb out.
2. Face the fists towards each other and hold a few inches apart.
3. Twist your wrists so the fists alternate back and forth.
4. This sign is kind of like your fists are competing against each other in a sports game. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
- Keep a variety of sports balls around (soccer, basketball, tennis, etc.) Encourage family games of sports to keep everyone moving. Sign sports!
- Make addition games for Kindergarten using sports. You can count how many kicks between partners, how many people on teams, add up total numbers of people on teams, and so on. Sign sports in-between counting!
Sports. With your thumbs up, your hands compete against each other. Sports. Try it! Sports.