Thirsty in Sign Language:
Learn how to sign thirsty. What do you do when you are thirsty?
1. With one hand, extend the pointer finger and tuck the rest of the fingers into the palm.
2. Place the pointer finger on the top of your throat and then drag it down in a straight line.
3. This sign looks like you are showing a drink running down your throat. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
- Sign language activities are easy at mealtimes! Whenever you offer your child a drink, start with asking, “Are you thirsty?” Sign thirsty to support the question. You can build on this by encouraging your child to sign yes (or no) and also offering the sign for the drink you will be giving.
- The next step to this activity would be to add on choices. You can say something such as, “You are thirsty! Would you like a drink of milk or juice?” You can sign thirsty and also sign milk and juice!
Thirsty. Your finger shows the drink going down.
Download the Flashcard (click on the image. Print in color or black-and-white and adjust the print size according to your needs.)