Why in Sign Language
Learn how to sign why – such a popular question for kids!
1. Touch one hand to the side of your head with all the fingers straight out.
2. Then bring it down a few inches and as you do so, transition to a Y-shaped hand shape with the thumb and pinky extended and the rest of the fingers folded into the palm.
3. Why is a question you think of (touch the head) and ends in a sound like the letter Y (the hand shape). Use these cues to help you remember the sign.
- Preschool learning activities can center on the WH questions (who, what, when, where, why). Ask questions that start with each of these words and sign them to support the question.
- A child is naturally going to ask why a whole lot – it is just what they do! As your little one expresses such wonderful curiosity, encourage her to sign why as well.
Why. Touch your hand at the top of your head. Bring your hand down into a Y- shape. Why? Why.