Write in Sign Language
Learn how to sign write in ASL (American Sign Language). What will you write about?
- Hold one hand palm up.
- With the other hand, pinch your pointer and middle finger against your thumb tip and tuck the other fingers into the palm.
- Drag your second hand across the palm of the first a few times.
- This sign looks like your first hand is the paper and your second hand is holding a pencil and writing. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign write in ASL
- Kids learning numbers and words need lots of practice writing them! Provide a variety of writing tools (pencils, markers, chalk) and encourage kids to write every day – but keep it fun! Sign write as you go too.
- Write a story together. Older children can do the writing, younger children can tell the story and you can write. Either way, enjoy your collaborative effort and talk (and sign!) about what you want to write.
Write. It is just like you are holding a pen and writing. Write!