Zebra in Sign Language
Learn how to sign zebra in ASL (American Sign Language). Z is for Zebra!
- Hold both hands with the fingers outstretched, and the palm facing towards your body.
- Hold the hands so that the left one is slightly to your right side and your right hand is slightly over the left.
- Bring the hands back and forth across the body a few times.
- This sign looks like you are showing the zebra’s stripes. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign zebra in ASL
- Working on animals makes for very fun preschool games! You can find inexpensive animal masks at a party store or online. Provide a variety of them and encourage children to sign the name of the animal they are pretending to be.
- Get the book “How the Zebra Got Its Stripes” by Justine Fontes. In this book, animals try to guess how the zebra got his stripes. At the end of the book, children find out the real reason zebras are striped! Sign zebra, and any other animals in the book you know.
Zebra. Make the stripes on the zebra. Zebra.