Signing Time Star Tips
Tips on Becoming the Next Signing Time Star
OK babies and toddlers, I want you to talk with you and your mommies and daddies about being the next Signing Time Star. Here are some things we look for when we choose our famous signers:
- We love when you are wearing clothes! As cute as you all are in diapers, we don’t want to show you off to the world without clothes on. Have your mommies and daddies dress you for your big début.
- We love when your mommies and daddies hold the camera still instead of whirling around the room. Sure, we know you like to wander around the house, but the video of you when you aren’t wandering and signing is so much more fun to watch, unlike some of those new movies where cameras zoom all over the place and you have a headache afterward.
- Make sure your mommies and daddies are aware of what else is in the camera shot. Sometimes parents forget that there may be things in the background that are somewhat distracting. Things for mommies and daddies to avoid: TV or radio in the background creating noise, messes that the camera sees or people talking in the background.
- We love creativity! Sometimes it is fun to be drilled on what you know so you can show us every sign you have. It is also fun for us to see you sign to communicate what you are looking at. For example, walk outside so your mommy and daddy can film you signing all the things you see outside. It is also fun to use objects because it shows how you sign to communicate in daily life. We also love when you sing while you sign.
- Keep it short and simple. We love seeing all the signs you have, but because we know you are all BRILLIANT signers, it is ok for your mommies and daddies to send us clips that are 1 minute or less. If they go over a little bit, that’s ok too.
- Bonus: We love seeing your signing progress! So, if your mommy and daddy can, have them tape you at 7 months, 10 months, 18 months…etc. It doesn’t have to be this way, but sometimes it is fun for us to see how you have grown.