We are committed to providing resources for parents who value signing with their children. Our sign language dictionary includes over 400 common signs including the top starter sings for your baby. For each word, there is a video, diagram, and teaching notes to make learning new signs easy. Many of our signs include free downloadable ASL Flashcards to help reinforce the signs taught in our series.
Cereal in Sign Language
Learn how to sign cereal and use this sign frequently with breakfast and snacks!
1. Bring one hand up to your chin, fingers all tucked in, except the pointer finger that is extended.
2. Wiggle or scoot your finger across your chin.
3. This sign looks like you are wiping cereal off your chin. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
- Sign with your baby from early on and include the popular first food “cereal” at meal times.
- Preschool children can participate in choosing a favorite cereal and practice the sign at the grocery story – talk about what makes a healthy cereal choice too!
- Create activities with colored cereal such as sorting by color or shape, gluing to paper to make a picture, or making patterns on a string to create a necklace. Practice the sign as you go!
Take your finger and scoot it across your chin, like you’re wiping away cereal. Cereal. Now you sign cereal.