J in Sign Language
Learn how to sign the letter J in sign language!
1. Bring one hand up about head height. Extend the pinky finger and tuck the rest of the fingers into your palm.
2. Swoop the pinky finger through the air in a J-shape
3. If you use your right hand, swoop to the left. If you use your left hand, swoop to the right.
4. This sign looks like you are drawing the letter J in the air… or maybe using your pinky to grab a little bit of jam (j is for jam)! Use these visuals to help you remember the sign.
- Create games for learning the alphabet with something as simple as a child’s environment. Go on a J-hunt around the house. What can you find or do that begins with the letter J? (jacket, juice, jam/jelly, junk mail, jump, jive, jumping jacks, etc.)
- Put some of that junk mail to use! Look it over together and circle all the times the letter J is used – then sign J! And then recycle it.
This is the letter J. Use your pinky to draw a J. J.
Download the Flashcard (click on the image. Print in color or black-and-white and adjust the print size according to your needs.)