What in Sign Language
Learn how to sign what – it’s an important question!
1. Bring both hands up in front of you, palms up.
2. At the same time, shrug your shoulders and make a quizzical look.
3. This sign looks just like you are asking the question what. Body language and facial expression are really important with this one!
- Use this sign to ask your children questions about their preferences. What do you want to eat? What do you want to wear? What do you want to do? It may be helpful to give a few pre-approved choices and have your child choose between them too. For instance, “You can go for a walk or we can kick the ball. What do you want to do?”
- For older children, encourage them to re-tell a story from a book they have just read. Ask leading questions such as, “What happened when _____” and sign what.
What. Put your hands out and ask – what? That sign is so simple; people use it even if they don’t know sign language! What.