Beaver in Sign Language
Learn how to sign beaver in ASL (American Sign Language) by re-creating one of this animal’s most unique attributes – the teeth!
- Bring hands up to about shoulder height.
- The hand shape for this sign is a bit unusual. Start by holding up your pointer and middle fingers on each hand, while tucking all the other fingers in. (like the “peace” sign).
- Next, crook the pointer and middle fingers down. Tap fingers on the opposite side a few times – pointer finger to pointer finger and middle finger to middle finger.
- This sign looks like the beaver’s teeth as it gnaws on a piece of wood. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign beaver in ASL
- Sign language can be a tool used in fun learning games for kids. For instance, sign “beaver” and then ask your child to name all the things they know about beavers.
- Make up a story together about beavers and sign the word each time you say it.
Beaver. Show the beaver’s teeth gnawing on wood. Beaver.