Cloud in Sign Language
Learn how to sign cloud in ASL (American Sign Language) and use the sign when exploring the great outdoors!
- Bring both hands up about chin height, each hand curled into a c-shape.
- Start with the sides of the thumbs and pointers together – so the c’s are touching.
- Bring the c-shaped hands around in front of you, drawing them in a bumpy circle (like the fluffy shape of a cloud!), until they meet on the other side with the sides of the pinkies touching.
- This sign looks just like a little fluffy cloud in front of you. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign cloud in ASL
- Reading games for kids start with the awareness that letters have sounds – known as phonics. This sign uses “initialization”, the sign for first initial of the letter is used as a base to make the sign for the word. C is for cloud! Repeat the hard c sound a few times and talk about what letter is at the beginning of “cloud”.
- Make a cloud picture together. Draw the outline of a shape on a blue piece of construction paper and then fill it in with pieces of cotton ball. Talk about your beautiful cloud in the sky!
Cloud. Make C-shapes with both hands and show a fluffy cloud! Cloud.
Download the Flashcard (click on the image. The file contains a few color and black-and-white options. Print according to your needs.)