Potato in Sign Language
Learn how to sign potato. This root vegetable can be part of healthy diet.
1. Hold one hand out from your body and in a fist shape.
2. With your other hand, extend the middle and pointer finger while tucking the rest of the fingers into the palm.
3. “Stab” the top of your fist hand with the second hand.
4. This sign looks like a potato (your first hand), and you are sticking a fork into it (the second hand). Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
- Science games for children open up new worlds. Did you know you can grow a potato plant in a glass of water? Take a fresh potato (organic is best as conventional ones are often sprayed to prevent sprouting –and you want sprouts for your plant!) Place a row of toothpicks around the potato and rest in a full glass of water, using the toothpicks to balance the potato. St in the sun and wait and watch for sprouts, refilling water as needed! If you want to continue to grow the plant, transfer to a pot once roots are well established. Practice the sign for potato as you observe your plant’s growth.
- How many different ways does your family enjoy potatoes? (roasted, baked, fries, stuffed, etc.) Choose a new version each week and practice the sign each time.
Potato! It’s like a potato that you’re sticking a fork in. Potato.
Download the Flashcard (click on the image. Print in color or black-and-white and adjust the print size according to your needs.)