Shorts in Sign Language
Learn how to sign shorts in ASL (American Sign Language). A favorite summertime outfit staple to keep you cool!
- There are two ways to sign shorts. The first is to lean forward and with either one hand or two, just tap the front of your leg(s) to show where your shorts end.
- The second option is to lean forward slightly and brush your hands back and forth on the sides of your legs a couple of times.
- Either way you choose to do this sign, it looks like you are showing the short length of the shorts! Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign shorts in ASL
- Let your child decorate a pair of play shorts. Provide a pair of plain shorts, puff paint, fabric markers and iron-on patches and assist her in creating her own fashionable shorts. Sign shorts as you create!
- Teaching American Sign Language words can help with routine and multi- step directions. Tell your child, “First put on your shirt, then your shorts, and last your socks.” Sign each clothing item and then have your child follow the directions.
Shorts! You show where your shorts end! Or you can sign shorts. Shorts.