Cereal in Sign Language
Learn how to sign cereal in ASL (American Sign Language) and use this sign frequently with breakfast and snacks!
- Bring one hand up to your chin, fingers all tucked in, except the pointer finger that is extended.
- Wiggle or scoot your finger across your chin.
- This sign looks like you are wiping cereal off your chin. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign cereal in ASL
- Sign with your baby from early on and include the popular first food “cereal” at meal times.
- Preschool children can participate in choosing a favorite cereal and practice the sign at the grocery story – talk about what makes a healthy cereal choice too!
- Create activities with colored cereal such as sorting by color or shape, gluing to paper to make a picture, or making patterns on a string to create a necklace. Practice the sign as you go!
Take your finger and scoot it across your chin, like you’re wiping away cereal. Cereal. Now you sign cereal.