D in Sign Language
Learn how to sign the letter D! Use it to sign some words that begin with D.
1. Bring one hand up about shoulder height.
2. Touch middle, ring and pinky fingers to your thumb to make an o-shape
3. Extend the pointer finger straight up.
4. This sign looks a lot like a lower case d – or a little like a dog’s head with a perky ear! Use these visuals to help you remember the sign.
- It’s easy to create alphabet learning games for kids. Try going on a “D hunt” – Look at a simple children’s book or poem and point to all the places you see the letter d. Make sure you sign each time!
- Teach your child the sound the letter d makes. Be sure to make it a short d- sound and not an elongated sound like “duh”. Look around your house – what things do you see that start with the letter d? Say the word and sign the letter together!
This is the sign for the letter D. It looks a lot like a lower case D. D