Happy in Sign Language
Learn how to sign happy in ASL (American Sign Language)! Use the sign often during your happy day!
- Bring one hand up to your chest, the palm is flat and the fingers all touch, with the thumb out to the side a little bit.
- Brush your hand over your heart a couple of times.
- Happy feelings come from your heart! Use this concept to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign happy in ASL
- Activities for children that help them understand and express emotions are really important! To work on the idea of happy, use the popular children’s
song “If You’re Happy and You Know It!” Sign happy each time it is used in the song.
- After singing a few rounds of “If You’re Happy and You Know It!”, talk with your child about people and things that make them happy. It’s just fine to focus on a few favorite material items, but make sure you bring in special events and family members too!
Happy. Brush a flat hand over your heart. The happiness comes up, out of your heart. Happy.
Download the Flashcard (click on the image. The file contains a few color and black-and-white options. Print according to your needs.)