Cook in Sign Language
Learn how to sign cook in ASL (American Sign Language) and invite your child into the kitchen for some culinary adventures.
1. Bring one hand up about chest height, palm up, fingers together and pointing away from you.
2. With your other hand, come up and touch the palms together, then flip the second hand and tap the back of it to the extended first hand.
3. This sign looks like you’re flipping a pancake or an omelet! Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign cook in ASL
- Math activities for preschool can begin in the kitchen! Encourage your child to join you in simple safe cooking activities where they can help measure and dump ingredients.
- What types of food does your family love? Engage your child in helping to prepare meals for the family and help them take pride in a job well done – kiss the cook!
Cook. This hand is the pan and this hand is like the food being turned over. Cook. Now cooking is something that is only safe to do with a grown up, it is also fun to pretend you are cooking, like Alex and Leah love to do.