We are committed to providing resources for parents who value signing with their children. Our sign language dictionary includes over 400 common signs including the top starter sings for your baby. For each word, there is a video, diagram, and teaching notes to make learning new signs easy. Many of our signs include free downloadable ASL Flashcards to help reinforce the signs taught in our series.
Garden in Sign Language
Learn how to sign garden in ASL (American Sign Language) and enjoy all that nature has to offer!
1. Make a c-shape with one hand.
2. Connect the fingertips of the other hand and bring it up through the center of the c-shaped hand.
3. Repeat this a couple of times as you move both hands across the front of the body. This shows lots of things growing!
4. For the second part of this sign, bring on hand up about chest height, keep it flat and palm down. Circle it a few times in front of you. This shows the area of the garden.
5. You can also specify what kind of garden you are talking about! For flower garden, first sign flower (pinch all fingertips together on one hand and gently touch both sides of your nose), then sign garden as described above.
6. For a vegetable garden, first sign vegetable (make a v-shape with one hand by extending pointer and middle finger in a v and tucking in the rest of the
fingers and then touching your cheek with the middle and then pointer finger). Then sign garden as described above.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign garden in ASL
- Preschool games and activities that take place outside and teach about nature are great ways to encourage healthy learning! Plant a few different seeds in plastic cups. When they sprout, transfer them outside to a little garden and help your child learn to nurture the plants. Things like peas, green beans, sunflowers, and marigolds are all fairly easy to grow.
- See if there is a community garden in your area. Bring your child to help out with some weeding or harvesting. Sign garden as you explore!
Garden. Show plants growing in a lot of places and show the area. You can show a flower garden, or a vegetable garden, or a garden full of plants. Garden.