Girl in Sign Language
Learn how to sign girl in ASL. There are lots of people to practice the sign on!
1. Bring one thumb up to just in front of your ear, the rest of your fingers tucked into you palm.
2. Draw the thumb down your cheek ending by the corner of your mouth.
3. This sign looks like the bonnet string on a girl from long ago. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
- Create family games for kids based on who is a boy and who is a girl. Talk about each member of the family. You can say something like, “Is Mommy a boy or a girl? Sign girl! Is brother a boy or a girl? Sign boy!” You can extend this to non-immediate family members and friends too.
- Flip through a child’s magazine together and look at the different characters on each page. Find the girls and show the sign for girl.
Girl. Your thumb slides to your chin.
Download the Flashcard (click on the image. The file contains a few color and black-and-white options. Print according to your needs.)