Happy Birthday in Sign Language
Learn how to sign happy birthday and use this skill to wish everyone a happy birthday on their special day!
1. This is a two-part sign. First start with the sign for happy by brushing a flat hand over your heart a couple of times.
2. Next sign birthday by touching the middle finger of one hand first to your chin, then to your chest.
3. A birthday is a happy occasion, so this sign uses happy as a part of it. You’ll just have to memorize birthday though! Then put them together for “HAPPY BIRTHDAY!”
- Birthday games for young children are extra fun when sign language is involved! Have a Signing Time birthday! Choose a few classics like “Red Light, Green Light”, “Simon Says”, etc. to play. Use our dictionary to learn the key words and play the games with sign. Make sure party goers are also using the sign for “Happy Birthday”, especially during the cake singing!
- Choose a special friend or relative who lives far away and is having a birthday. Instead of sending a card, film your child signing “Happy Birthday!” and offering a birthday wish, then send the video along.
Happy birthday. This is happy. Your flat hand shows the happiness coming from your heart. Happy and birthday! Your middle finger touches your chin then your chest. Birthday. Lets try it. Happy birthday. Sign it with me. Great.