We are committed to providing resources for parents who value signing with their children. Our sign language dictionary includes over 400 common signs including the top starter sings for your baby. For each word, there is a video, diagram, and teaching notes to make learning new signs easy. Many of our signs include free downloadable ASL Flashcards to help reinforce the signs taught in our series.
Lion in Sign Language
Learn how to sign lion in ASL (American Sign Language). This majestic king of the jungle is lots of fun to learn about!
- Bring one hand up over your head, fingers curled down slightly and the fingertips hovering over your forehead.
- Pull the hand back in an arc over the head.
- This sign looks like you are showing the lion’s big fluffy mane. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign lion in ASL
- Science in early childhood education often starts with learning about animals. Activate prior learning with children by asking what they already know about lions. Encourage her to start her sentence with, “I know that lions_______” Sign lion each time.
- Can you roar like a lion? Leap like a lion? Pounce like a lion? Pretend to be the king of the jungle and practice your sign as you go.
Lion. Show the lion’s big mane! Lion.