We are committed to providing resources for parents who value signing with their children. Our sign language dictionary includes over 400 common signs including the top starter sings for your baby. For each word, there is a video, diagram, and teaching notes to make learning new signs easy. Many of our signs include free downloadable ASL Flashcards to help reinforce the signs taught in our series.
My Name Is in Sign Language
Learn how to sign the phrase my name is. It’s a useful expression to know when practicing good manners!
1. This is a two part sign. First you sign the word my simply by placing one flat hand on the middle of your chest.
2. Now you will sign name. On each separate hand, press the pointer and middle fingers together and tuck the remaining fingers into your palm.
3. Next tap the extended fingers on each hand one on top of the other so that they form an x-shape. This is name.
4. Notice there is no sign for the word is. This word is not often signed in ASL as it is implied.
5. Because you’re making and x with the fingers on your two hands, think about how you sign your name on the x! Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
- Encourage your child to introduce herself to new acquaintances by signing, “My name is _____”. If she is shy, this is especially helpful because she doesn’t have to voice the phrase at first if she doesn’t want to, but she still practices being polite.
- Learning games for Kindergarten (or any age) can help children get to know one another in a new group. Pair kids off the first time they meet and encourage them to introduce themselves using the phrase, “My name is”. Add on to this activity by having each child tell one interesting thing about himself, such as, “My name is ______ and I like to _______!” Return to the circle and have the partners introduce their new friend.
My name is. Sign my: It’s a flat hand on your chest, my. Name: Your first two fingers tap the top of your other two fingers. They make a shape like an X. Sometimes you write your name by an X, name. My name is. Then, you can say or sign or say your name. My name is Rachel!