Pen in Sign Language
Learn how to sign pen in ASL (American Sign Language) – this one is finger spelled!
- P: First hold out your middle and pointer finger out and tuck in your ring and pinky finger, bend the middle finger down to rest on the tip of your thumb. The wrist is also bent forward so fingers are pointing down.
- E: Bend your pointer, middle, ring, and pinky finger down so that the fingertips rest in the palm. Lay the thumb down sideways in the palm so it is directly under the other fingertips.
- N: Tuck your thumb between your ring and middle finger. Lay the remaining fingers down towards the palm.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign pen in ASL
- A pen is great for writing a letter! Choose a favorite colored pen and write to someone special. Practice signing pen before and after writing.
- Reading games for kids make literacy fun! Offer a variety of colored pens and a reproducible sheet with sight words on it. Have children circle the words they are learning using different colored pens. Encourage them to read the words after by saying something like, “I chose the red pen to circle my words!” Sign pen!
Pen! Finger spell it. P E N. Pen!