School in Sign Language
Learn how to sign school in ASL (American Sign Language). In a school building or at home – every child goes!
- Hold one hand in front of you palm up.
- Take the other hand facing palm down and clap the two hands together a couple of times.
- This sign looks like a teacher who is clapping a few times to get the class’s attention. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tip – to learn how to sign school in ASL
- Play school together. But mix it up and let the child be the teacher and the adult can be the student. Sign school while you play.
- Signing for children in school is really valuable, even after they have learned to talk. Encourage your child to take some of their sign language skills to school to share with his class. He can start by teaching school words! (school, principal, backpack, paper, etc.)
School. Clap your hands like the teacher getting the class’s attention. School!