Clothes in Sign Language
Learn how to sign clothes in ASL (American Sign Language) and use this sign whenever getting dressed or getting changed.
- Bring both hands up about shoulder height, palms facing in, fingers slightly apart.
- Brush hands down from shoulder height to chest height a couple of times.
- This sign looks like you are bringing attention to some fancy clothes. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign clothes in ASL
- Teach your child how to use sign language to indicate choice and preference. Prepare a couple of mix and match outfits and ask your child to pick out their own clothes for the day. Make sure you practice the sign with good language modeling such as, “Oh! You chose the blue flowered shirt and black pants for your clothes today! Very nice!”
- Play a variation of “Simon Says” with the colors of clothes. You can say something like, “Simon says jump up and down if you have read on your clothes”. Use the sign for clothes (and the sign for your chosen color!) each time.
Clothes! Brush your open hands to show your clothes. Clothes.