Dress in Sign Language
Learn how to sign dress in ASL (American Sign Language) and enjoy getting dressed up – for special times and pretend!
- Bring both hands up to about chest height, palms in, fingers together.
- Draw your hands down your torso and then out to your sides, ending with hands several inches out and palms still facing down.
- This sign looks like you are showing a nice A-line dress. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign dress in ASL
- Create fun activities for children with a dress-up box! Fill it with all sorts of clothes, including dresses, and encourage them to sign the name of the clothing they choose. Where does one wear a dress? Pretend to go there!
- Design a pretty dress using objects around the house. Draw a simple outline of a dress for your child and let them fill it in with crayons, stickers, foam shapes, buttons, or anything else they desire to make a fancy dress! Practice the sign while you create together!
Dress! Your hands follow the shape of the dress. Dress!