Dirty in Sign Language
Learn how to sign dirty in ASL (American Sign Language) so that you can indicate how you know it is time to clean up – when everything is dirty!
- Bring one hand under your chin, resting the chin lightly on your knuckles.
- Wiggle your fingers a few times.
- This sign looks like you have something dirty on your chin and need to clean up! Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign dirty in ASL
- For kids, learning to clean up can be a chore… or a game! Play an “I spy” game at clean up time: “I spy something dirty on the floor! It’s all the blocks! Let’s clean up!” Sign dirty and clean up and make a lighthearted activity out of the clean-up routine.
- Have some fun getting dirty! Will you dig in the dirt? Play with chalk? Finger-paint? Relish in the fun and then get cleaned up. Practice your signs as you go!
Dirty. Put your hand under your chin and wiggle your fingers. It’s like food is dripping off your chin. Dirty.
Download the Flashcard (click on the image. The file contains a few color and black-and-white options. Print according to your needs.)