Dog in Sign Language
Learn how to sign dog in ASL (American Sign Language) to talk about this favorite household pet.
- This sign has two variations. The first is just to pat one leg a couple of times.
- The second way to sign dog is to pat your leg and then snap your fingers with the same hand.
- Either way, this sign looks like you are calling a dog to come to you. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign dog in ASL
- Teaching sign language to babies (and big kids!) is easy when you are practicing the signs for favorite animals. Dogs are everywhere – at home, in the neighborhood, and in books. Anytime you see a dog, be sure to demonstrate the sign.
- Engage in imaginative play and pretend to be dogs. How does a dog move? How does a dog sound? What does a dog like to do? Make it as silly as you can – and practice the sign as you.
Pat your leg, or pat and snap. Show me the sign for dog.
Download the Flashcard (click on the image. The file contains a few color and black-and-white options. Print according to your needs.)