Word in Sign Language
Learn how to sign word in ASL (American Sign Language). What words do you know in sign language?
- Hold one hand in front of you with the pointer finger straight up and the rest of the fingers held in a fist.
- With the other hand, extend the thumb and pointer finger and tuck the rest of the fingers into the palm.
- Touch the fingertips of the pointer and thumb of the second hand up against the side of the pointer finger on the first hand.
- To indicate lots of words, sign word several times while moving your arms from one side of your body to the other.
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign word in ASL
- Learning games for reading often focus on site words. Choose a group of words to focus on that you want your child to read automatically, or on sight. Write each one on a flashcard. Ask him to reach each word and say, “This word says _______”. Then turn it into a flashcard game, going through the list as fast as you can.
- Go on a word hunt in a book. For instance, tell your child, “Let’s find the word AND in this book. Each time you see the word AND, point to it!” Sign word, and encourage your child to respond, “I see the word AND!”
Word! Thumb and pointer. One word or lots of words. Word.