We are committed to providing resources for parents who value signing with their children. Our sign language dictionary includes over 400 common signs including the top starter sings for your baby. For each word, there is a video, diagram, and teaching notes to make learning new signs easy. Many of our signs include free downloadable ASL Flashcards to help reinforce the signs taught in our series.
Grow in Sign Language
Learn how to sign grow in ASL (American Sign Language) – what kinds of things can you observe as they grow?
- Start with one hand held at about chest height in a c-shape, pinky is down at the bottom parallel to the ground.
- With the other hand, connect all the fingertips and push it up through the c-shaped hand, expanding and opening up the hand as you go.
- This sign looks like something growing out of the ground and blooming! Use this visual to help you remember the sign!
Teaching Tips – to learn how to sign grow in ASL
- Science in early childhood education is all about being hands on! What are some simple plants you can grow indoors? Teach your child all the things the plant needs to grow by modeling this sentence, “Plants need (soil, water, the sun) to grow!” Practice the sign each time.
- Go outside and see what grows in your neighborhood. Encourage your child to point out different plants and sign grow for each one.
Grow! Your hand grows out of your other hand like a plant growing out of the ground. Grow.