Winter in Sign Language
Learn how to sign winter. Is winter your favorite season?
1. Hold both hands up in fists at about shoulder height.
2. Bring the fists in and out a couple of inches while hunching your shoulders a little.
3. This sign looks like you are shivering in the cold winter. Use this visual to help you remember the sign.
- Make sure there are lots of outdoor activities for children that help them experience winter! If it snows and freezes where you are, you can skate, sled, and play in the snow while you practice the sign for winter. If it doesn’t get that cold where you are, are there still some winter-specific activities you can do?
- Talk about all four seasons with children. Try this little poem: “Winter, Spring, Summer Fall. There are seasons, four in all. Weather changes, sun and rain and snow. Leaves fall down and flowers grow. Winter, Spring, Summer, Fall. There are seasons, four in all. Look outside and you will see, just what season it will be!” Sign each season (and rain, snow, leaves, and flowers!) as you go.
Winter. And cold. Pretend you’re shivering because its so cold. Winter. And cold.