MYTH: Signing is something only type-A parents who are trying to raise a genius baby would do.
I think Dr. Alan Greene said it best: “teaching your baby sign language is not about power-parenting, it’s another loving way to interact. Signing can potentially increase your child’s IQ, vocabulary, and reading ability, but the most important thing about it is that it opens the door to communication for your child much earlier than it would happen otherwise, allowing you and your child to get closer. This ability to communicate with your child sooner is a gift that can reduce tears and frustration for both parent and child. Who wouldn’t want that? – Dr. Jenn
TRUTH: Signing isn’t about power-parenting, it’s another loving way to interact!
- Read Myth#1 : Signing delays speech (BUSTED!)
- Read Myth #2: Signing takes a lot of time and money (BUSTED!)
- Read Myth #4: ASL signs are too hard for babies (BUSTED!)
- Read Myth #5: You have to learn a whole new language (BUSTED!)
- Get a summary of the research on signing with babies and children
- Learn more about Dr. Jenn